Our rates for parties who represent themselves are generally as follows:
Divorce & Family Law Matters
- $710 Divorce – Summons, Petition, Request for Default and Fee Waiver. Short declaration disclosure included.
- $675 Divorce Response – Response, Fee Waiver. Short declaration disclosure included.
- $240 Divorce Amendment
- $100 At Issue Memorandum
- $710 Petition to Establish a Parental Relationship
- $1,070 Petition to Terminate Parental Rights
- $730 Domestic Violence Restraining Order – Always prepared as a rush job
- $970 Ex Parte request for order – Always prepared as a rush job
- $540 Request for Spousal Support, Child Support, or Other Order
- $140 Additional Order Requests
- $150* Other family law pleadings
- $ 90 Additional consultation or phone call – check dates, check case status, obtain extra copies, etc.
Grand Parents Rights
- $690 Petition to establish grandparent rights
- $540 Objection
- $650 Petition to terminate parental rights for purpose of adoption
- $950 Stepchild adoption
- $1,280 Guardianship package
- $250 Each additional child
- $580 Objection
Other Civil Matters
- $350 Plan Package – Power of Attorney, Advanced Healthcare Directive, Statutory Will
- $530 Civil Restraining Order
- $725 Summons and Complaint – Limited Civil
- $650 Name Change
- $550 Small Claims
- $150* Other civil pleadings, answers to discovery, etc.
- $15 Signature – Acknowledgment or Jurat
- $150 Travel and admission to Kern County Sheriff’s Central Receiving facility
- $200 Travel and admission to Kern County Sheriff’s Lerdo Pretrial facility
- $220 Travel and admission to Kern County Sheriff’s Lerdo Justice facility
- $65 – $100 Travel to most locations in Bakersfield
- $350 Sealing Order, Petition to Dismiss, Petition to Reduce Charges, etc. – First case.
- $200 Sealing Order, Petition to Dismiss, Petition to Reduce Charges, etc. – Cases 2-6
- $150 Sealing Order, Petition to Dismiss, Petition to Reduce Charges, etc. – Each additional case in the same courthouse
- $350 Quash restraining order
Evictions & Unlawful Detainers
- $85 Notice – 3, 15, 30, or 60 Day Notice
- $1,100 Eviction/Unlawful Detainer – Residential, Possession Only
- $160 Writ of Execution
Odds & Ends
- $150* Typing service – answers to discovery, response to demurrers, etc.
- $150 Rush. It takes a few days to prepare documents for most cases, but we charge a bit extra and stay after hours for clients who need to have their documents prepared immediately.
Rates for Process Service in Bakersfield
- $120 Service – 1 to 3 days
- $140 Rush – Within 24 hours
- $160 NOW! – Within two hours
- $50 Declaration of Due Diligence
- Plus a one time charge of $1.50 / mile based on the distance from our office to the location of service and back no matter how many attempts are made.
Other cities usually have similar rates if a process server is available in that city. If a process server must travel from Bakersfield, An additional charge of $1.50 / mile is required, which includes both time and mileage. Use any process server you like. These are the fees for the process servers we regularly work with.
Notes: * This is an hourly rate for typing and formatting All fees are flat rate except fees that include an asterisk*. Those fees are charged hourly because preparation time is almost completely dependent on the parties and not on the paralegals. Prices are our fees and do not include court filing fees ($240 to $435), court motion fees ($85), court writ fees ($40), Probation Department research fee ($60), Sheriff fees ($145), or fees paid to others, some of which may not be needed depending on the case and the availability of fee waivers.